Friday, June 24, 2011

Sweet precious children!

I have had such a crazy week! I am not going to lie it was a challenging week for some random reasons. My students were wonderful and my site kids were as sweet as can be! I just felt out of it all week. I mean I was running into walls left and right (cutting corners to sharp), falling down the stairs, words were difficult to come by, and the random list goes on. Thankfully God gave me the energy and strength to invest in the students and children at site. So my goal this weekend is to be pretty lazy to try to get as much rest as humanly possible so that next week doesn't look like this one in terms of my loopiness:) One funny story I cannot post on here but if you ask me in person I would love to share just so that I could give you a little giggle!

Now I have to tell you about my precious site. Every week Tues.-Thursday we take our campers to site to do ministry in the city. My site all summer is an apartment complex in Kenner, LA. The complex is largely Hispanic, which of course can present a problem with communication at times. One of these days I will learn Spanish!! It has been so exciting to see God at work in this place. This week I was able to really see the children at the apartments building new friendships within their community. There are two precious little girls who have become sweet friends who I am pretty sure didn't even know each other before. Last week there was a new family to the neighborhood with a boy who is kind of a loner, and one of the more outgoing boys in the complex has been such a sweet friend to him even after we were gone. Please be in prayer for our newest friend, Joel, who has autism, that came out yesterday. His mother was very reluctant to allow him to come out. After we ensured her he would not be left alone at anytime, she let him come, and he had a wonderful time. She was so surprised that he did not get upset and was able to stay out the whole time without her. (she of course is welcome to join us, but she must have been unable to at the time) Anyways he is nonverbal but seems to be about medium to high functioning, so who knows what this summer could mean for him and his mom. Lastly these kids about made me cry this week.

As we left each day they were climbing in the backs of our vans trying to hitch a ride with us:) This may seem like not that big of a deal but it is just a small thing to show that they know that we love them and that we care for them deeply! Pray that this trust in our groups coming out would grow each week and that they would begin to open up through the one on one conversations. They are sweet and precious kids but this is truly a crucial time for many of them to make a choice to follow Christ or to follow the world. Especially in the communities they live in, if they get in with the wrong group of people, there is no telling where it could lead. So please pray that we would make the most of every opportunity and that we would never forget the incredible urgency of the gospel and the salvation of these children and families!

No comments:

Post a Comment