Thursday, June 12, 2014

Passionate pursuit

Singleness. I get all kinds of responses when asked if I am dating or married. As I muster my strength to prepare for yet another conversation on my lack of a significant other, I nervously say no, waiting to see how this one will respond. Some say I am young and have plenty of time. In other words...good for you, enjoy your singleness, no need to rush. Others say, "Well why not?"  Which in my mind is interpreted a little something like this: What's wrong with you?  As if they are saying if you are still single, then you must have problems. Neither of these are conversations I enjoy having. I have no words for them except that I am simply waiting on the Lord. Some understand, many don't.

Most days I can wake up and see that God has my life in His hands, and that He is working all things out for His glory and my good.
Most days!

Some days (more than I care to admit if I am honest) it only starts out that way, and my heart quickly takes a downward spiral. On these days, the most well intentioned comments such as: "God has someone special out there for you." or "I can't believe someone hasn't snatched you up yet." hit the tender parts of my heart all wrong. I truly appreciate these words because I know it means that I have a great many people that care for me and want to see me experience the happiness that they have in their marriages and families.

Our society is filled with ways to meet your mate. Internet dating, speed dating, social media, and reality shows. I have nothing against any of these methods! I know some lovely couples...some of my favorites in fact that met in some of these ways, and I love their stories. The newest show "It Takes a Church" (which I walked in on my dad watching...), is a show where a church sets up single ladies and gentlemen in the church. I have only seen the commercials for it. I don't know how I feel about this.

I guess I am just very convicted in my waiting. I believe (I speak only for my journey. I truly believe it is different for each of us) that it is a matter of faith. If I begin to try to make it happen for myself, I find that I lose sight of my first love (Rev.2:4) and my walk with the Lord severely suffers. And if I am losing sight of the Lord, then something is terribly wrong with that approach. For me, I believe that the Lord is asking me to trust Him to bring it all together in His perfect way and His perfect timing.

So as I see people chasing so hard after love. As I see the longings of my own heart, I am convicted. If we as singles would pursue the Lord with as much energy as we do a relationship, how much different would our relationships with Christ look. If we longed to love and be loved by the One who is love as much as we long for an earthly love, how would that change the way we live our lives. I want to meet my special someone on a run. Not my morning runs;) I would like to run up alongside someone who is pursuing a life in Christ. My heart's desire has always been that someone will fall in love with me for the way that I am in love with the Lord, and I pray I will love someone for the same reasons.

I believe that if I pursue Christ, run hard after Him, and remember my first love, that He will bless me in ways I never imagined. I trust that He knows the desires of my heart and that He only has the very best in store for me!

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

No comments:

Post a Comment