Monday, June 7, 2010

Slowing down and losing focus

I have some sweet and dear children that I teach at Sylvan. A few of them make me laugh out loud on a regular basis at the things they say. Laughing is not a good management skill to have by the way . You lose control quite quickly when they realize you think they are funny! But nonetheless I love to laugh and just can't help it:) But anyways, I laughed quite a few times today with one of my regular little girls and when I sat down tonight I realized that I couldn't remember one thing that was cute and funny! ugh I hate that because it is due to the fact I was too focused on the task at hand and worried about getting things done to enjoy the moment (just a quick moment of course because she did need to get to work). I do this often in life, especially when it comes to something I am being evaluated on such as work or once upon a time, school. Or even just getting things checked off that good old to-do list. Regardless of what it is I do not enjoy this state of mind that I far too often find myself in and here is why... I miss precious moments and/or opportunities. You see, so many times I am in such a rush and so focused on the task and what I need to do next that I walk right past the lady in the wheelchair who needs help reaching something on the top shelf at the supermarket or miss the hurting look in the eyes of people I pass who just need a kind word from a stranger or even the blessings that might be thrown my way throughout the day.

I mean I try I really do to slow down and try to see the opportunities the Lord is giving me to love those around me, but it definitely takes a conscience effort on most days! Like I usually remember things in great detail, and as I write this I realize it is times when I am just enjoying the time I have with the person/people or whatever it is. I am not worried about the task at hand or what all I should be doing instead, ya know all the responsible things we think we just must get done and are far more important than people. Now granted there are things we must do, especially when people are counting on us, but I guess my point is that I need to start evaluating the urgency behind the task. Also, allowing time to do things a little slower, such as grocery store visits, so that I can run into someone and really here what they have to say (granted they may be in a rush but at least I was willing to be whatever I needed to be in that moment). I remember times walking across campus, when I would run into people on my way to class and just the briefest conversation with someone would make my day. I mean it really is the small things that can make or break someone's day, but these seem to be the things that are easily passed by when we get so caught up in our own busy little worlds.

Not to mention we miss the beauty of His amazing creation and the chance to marvel at all He has done in, around, and through us!

I just know one thing, when I slow down, the distractions of the world seem to fade away, and I begin to get a glimpse of the world through my Lord's eyes.

Oh and please excuse my grammar and writing. I am just tired.

John 13:34-35 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

No comments:

Post a Comment