Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Random little lessons

Yesterday, my little cousin was helping me with some work for school. I knew that this could be a risky move because the stuff he was helping me with is easy to tear. But as he was helping me, I realized I really could careless if he tears any of it because I was just enjoying his help so much. I am not one of those people who would rather do everything myself so that I make sure I get it done right, but there have been times where I have denied help to make sure that something is done correctly (or at least the way I want it done). As I was working with my cousin, I realized how precious these moments are.

Think about those sweet pictures where little ones are working alongside their moms in the garden, their dads on the car, grandmas in the kitchen, or grandpas in the workshop.
Sure your favorite plant may get pulled because it was mistaken for a weed or grease may get all over the place or an egg may get dropped on the floor or your thumb may feel the pain of a missed swing of the hammer, but the risk is worth it! You can always spend time at the zoo or go to a museum or go to the park, but I know that the most precious times for me were when I was working alongside my mom, dad, aunts, uncles, grandmas, and grandpas. For some reason now that I am kind of on the other side of that, having little ones work alongside me, I still treasure those moments, no matter how much the task at hand may get messed up.

I feel sorry for people who hold too tightly to control to allow someone who might not really be qualified to actually help. They are missing out on some sweet times! I really can't say why I find these moments so precious, but they are some of my favorites.

Just a little closing note that my mom and Nanny will appreciate...My mom still lets me have these little moments with her (which trust me, is indeed risky business). Just a few weeks ago, I went to help her in the kitchen with some spaghetti. Being my easily distracted self, I forgot that I had an opened box of uncooked spaghetti standing up on the counter. As I went to turn around, my elbow knocked it off the counter and all over the floor, to which I immediately fell on the floor speechless and crying because I was laughing so hard. You never get too old for these sweet moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment