Saturday, January 28, 2012

Loving you...

As I continue to think about the word love this Valentine season...this topic comes to mind...loving yourself!

This summer at camp I learned an important lesson in being proud of who God made me to be:).
You see, I went in knowing that when you listed all the things a "camp counselor" should be, I didn't really match up:

*high energy: not at all! I mean if you count getting hyper and giggly, then maybe, but I will not be the one screaming cheers and things of that nature. I mean I tried but trust me that is not a gift God gave me;)

*function on little sleep: well I think we all know how that goes! Let's just say I was usually first to bed and most likely to nap all weekend ... yes grandma is my middle name! I truly do try all the time, but it just usually ends up with me zoning out, getting delirious, and everyone just saying "OK Morgan, it is past your bedtime!"

*creative: Can we say "thief"? My creativity is never an original! We were taught in college as teachers to steal ideas from other teachers. Let's just say it's the best thing I learned in my four years!

*cool: Cool is not a word I would use to describe myself! Well thankfully campers love counselors no matter how much of a dork you are. So as soon as they said that during training, I felt a bit of relief because trust me I can be quite the dork. I am clumsy (fell down some stairs in front of people a couple of times!), I am terrible with words, I don't like to break rules!, I am usually confused about something, I don't get jokes the first time and usually ruin them by having to have them explained to me, and the list goes on! (I mean I always get a good laugh over these things so my advice is to just embrace it:).)

So as I went into the summer all I saw where the things I wasn't! The ways I didn't quite measure up to for what I thought most people expected from a camp counselor! But I knew the Lord had opened wide this door because I prayed many prayers giving Him the chance to change His mind;).

I left the summer finding confidence in who God made me to be just as He made me! The Lord showed me through people and situations how He used me just as I am, just as He created me to be. I can't really explain it all in writing, but I know that the Lord showed me that I had to stop comparing myself to others and be proud of who God made me to be! Quiet, calm, and clumsy:)

Trust me! I don't have it all figured out! Just ask my friends! But it just breaks my heart when I hear others downing themselves. When others are constantly saying they are not good enough either by words or actions! When they can't find one thing they love about themselves. God created you just as you are for a purpose. A divine and holy purpose! Now we all have areas that need improvement of course. But you know what I mean.

If we (myself especially!) will stop focusing on all that we aren't, and instead ask God to show us all that He created us to be in Him, we will begin to see how He is using us. We will begin to look in the mirror and see something beautiful!!

It takes work daily, it takes prayer daily, it takes accountability, and it doesn't hurt to have a few good friends with kind words of encouragement along the way (man I am so glad for those sweet words of encouragement!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment