Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sand and Surf

If you know me, you know I haven't ever been a huge beach goer. I do like walking along the beach, the scenery, the sound of the waves, playing games (volleyball, throwing the football,etc.) and soaking up a little sun. I enjoy going, but I don't  just have to have a beach trip every year. Mostly because I used to be terrified of the water! Like really we have videos to prove it;). I mean they say your chances of being bitten by a shark are slim, but people will tell you anything to get you in the water. Then there is the sand everywhere...all the time! And the sunburns. And the heat.

But as I have gotten older, I enjoy going with friends. It is a nice relaxing way to get away from the craziness of life and spend sweet time with friends. Make little memories. Catch up on life. Simply be together with out the business of life.

Well I just returned from a sweet beach vacation with 2 of my college girlfriends. I enjoyed it most because it was simple and laid back. We simply hung out, came and went and did as we felt. It was so sweet to be together again and catch up on life and pick up right where we left off.

As I have gotten older, I have also begun to brave the scary ocean waters. Which is probably one reason I wasn't a huge fan of the beach before. I mean it gets HOT out there when you won't get in the water! Last time a giant raft (king sized air mattress:)) helped me to go out into the frightening depths and this time I went out with nothing and very little fear. 

Well here are a few beach trip tips for any future beach goers this summer:)
1. Re-apply that sunscreen. I won't do it unless I am dry completely and have no sand on me, so I had to wait until we went in for lunch. I got a little burnt, but if I had done it sooner I probably would have just tanned :/
2. If you burn, don't put clothes on after you put aloe vera on. I learned the hard way that it sticks to your clothing. Peeling stuck clothing off of a sunburn is a bit painful. 
3. Some great places to eat in Gulf Shores: 1.Tacky Jack's is a fun little restaurant and the service was so fast and great! 2. Lambert's: Most people know about this one, but it is a fun and delicious place to eat! The waiters play jokes on you and stop and talk to you. There is always at least an hour wait so get there early.
4. Take advantage of the beach and go for a walk. It is great exercise and that way you don't feel guilty about going out to eat  ;).
5. If you can't pass up a good deal, don't go to the outlet malls on a holiday weekend:). They always have great deals on holiday weekends. I always get things from places that I would never be able to afford otherwise! Banana Republic and JCrew were my hot spots this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment