Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas time in 2nd grade

What an exciting time of year to be around children. I love to see how excited they get about all of the Christmas festivities. Well it's exciting and EXHAUSTING!! I am pretty sure I lost the ability to carry on a good adult conversation around lunch time on Tuesday, and it has been down hill ever since:/ So you can imagine how thankful I am for three weeks off!

I would like to give you a simple glimpse into my 2nd grade classroom over these past few weeks leading up to Christmas. Most of these will probably be "you had to be there" moments, but oh well.

- So I decided to let the kiddos sing a little Christmas song each morning to get our day started. I usually picked someone to choose a song they would like to sing. First day the song chosen was none other than "Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer". We of course did not sing it, but it was funny.

- On the same note, I realized through this little morning activity that many children these days do not know classic Christmas carols, because they learn all of the Christmas program songs for their school and church. So I felt it was my duty to at least expose them to some classics. Let's just say next year, I will be printing up a little song book. It was so funny! We would sing the part that everyone knows and then it would just fall apart because no one knew the actual words. We pretty much just knew the part that had the title of the song it and then from there it was a disaster.

- So of course in Bible we studied the Nativity story. One morning was so precious because they were all very into it. They never participate like they were on this particular morning. One student proceeded to ask:How did Mary have baby Jesus if they didn't have hospitals? I was kind of at a loss because I get a little nervous talking to other people's children about any "where do babies come from" kind of questions. My reply was: Well she just wasn't as comfortable as she would have been in a hospital.

- Our Christmas party was today, which is just pure craziness. There is just no way around it; no matter how well you plan to avoid the craziness it always comes! Well to add to the craziness today, we had no air conditioning. Let's just say the parents weren't sticking around to chat.

- To wrap things up, I am going to brag a bit on my job! I love the place I work. It is so wonderful to be able to share the true story of Christmas with my students and really be able to keep our focus on the birth of Christ. We enjoyed talks of Santa and Elf on the Shelf, but it is so encouraging to know that they truly know what it is all about! Every morning we would take a moment to pray and ask God to help us remember why we celebrate Christmas. I loved hearing their sweet little prayers!

Well that's that (I am too tired to think of a proper way to end this:))

No comments:

Post a Comment