Saturday, December 3, 2011

Run, Run Rudolph...


YAY!! Half marathon number 2 complete! Even though I couldn't convince anyone to run with me, it was a lot of fun. Every time I ask new friends if they run or would like to start, they give me a look that simply says, " You must be crazy." But even as the aches and pains began and even when I began to struggle, I still loved it! Maybe it's the challenge or running with over 1,000 strangers or the feeling of accomplishment at the end, I am not really sure why I think it's so much fun, but I do!



So here are some highlights of my 13.1 trek around the lakes at LSU today.

* Old man in little purple running shorts decides to water a tree right off the road. What made it so funny was the girl in front of me who said quite loudly, "OH my! He's peeing!"
* I was able to make it the first 8 miles with no problem, but then I began to struggle! Even though I had to walk some, I still improved my time from my first half-marathon. 2:19:37 was my official time (last run was 2:22:12).
* Sweet friends and Mom who came out to watch and cheer.
* Apparently despite the fact that we are in flat South LA there are hills around every turn around the lakes. Killer for someone who has trained on a route that is as flat as it gets!
* The beautiful and warm (warmer than it has been) day the Lord blessed us with today.
* The sweet old man who became my friend at about the half way mark. He was so encouraging, and I am so glad that we met up again at the last mile and finished the race together!
* For Jourdan Edmonds, Kelli Grubbs, and Stephanie Dugard there was salt on my face and legs. :)
* Little running club that passed me and said "Half's get all the fun. By the time we get back around all of this is gone...and the food." They were talking about all the fun spectators and then the food at the end. So that confirmed it for me right there! I like being a half-marathoner:) Maybe one day I will do a marathon just to say I did, but no time soon!

I am sure you are all just dying to start training for a half now;)

I am constantly reminded as I run of how blessed I am to have the health and strength to be active. So I thank You Lord for my health and that You are my constant companion each step of the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment